Place:


Writhlington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Writhlington like this:

WRITHLINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Frome district, Somerset: 1 mile ENE of Radstock railway station. Post town, Radstock, under Bath. Acres, 772. Real property, £4,363; of which £3,000 are in mines. Pop., 367. Houses, 65. The manor belongs to B. Naish, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £166.* Patron, the Prebendary of Writhlington. The church is ancient. There is a national school.

Writhlington through time

Writhlington is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Writhlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Writhlington, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13433

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Writhlington ".