Wrington  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wrington like this:

WRINGTON, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands on a hillslope, 3¾ miles SE of Yatton r. station, and 6½ NNE of Axbridge; was once a market-town; is now a seat of petty-sessions, and has a post-office,‡ designated Wrington, Somerset, an inn, and a reading room and library. ...

The parish includes three hamlets, and comprises 5,786 acres. Real property, £9,707. Pop., 1,617. Houses, 307. The property is much subdivided. W. Lodge is the seat of W.-Towgood, Esq. Barley Wood Cottage was built by Hannah More, is now the residence of W. H. Harford, Esq., and has been separately noticed. Westhay, Grove, and Havyatt Lodge are other chief residences. Mill puff and flock are manufactured; and lapis calaminaris is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £600.* Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is later English, and was recently restored. A chapel of ease is at Redhill; and there are In dependent and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £28. Locke the philosopher was a native.

Wrington through time

Wrington is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrington in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd September 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wrington ".