Place:


Winscombe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winscombe like this:

WINSCOMBE, a parish, with W. village and five hamlets, in Axbridge district, Somerset; 2 miles NW of Axbridge r. station. One of its hamlets is Woodborough, which has a post-office under Weston-super-Mare. Acres, 4,140. Real property, £5,884. Pop. in 1851, 1,439; in 1861, 1,326. Houses, 272. ...


The property is much sub-divided. Calamine is found, and limestone is quarried and calcined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £201.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is later English, handsome, and good. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £33 a year, and charities £15.

Winscombe through time

Winscombe is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winscombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winscombe in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13412

Date accessed: 25th February 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winscombe".