Place:


Wick St Lawrence  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wick St Lawrence like this:

WEEK-ST. LAWRENCE, a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; at the mouth of the river Yeo, 2 miles NNW of Banwell r. station, and 4½ NE by N of Weston-super-Mare. Post town, Worle, under Weston-super-Mare. Acres, 1,900; of which 370 are water. Real property, £4,768. Pop., 270. Houses, 50. Woodspring priory, partly a ruin, and partly converted into a farmhouse, is adjacent. There is a coastguard station. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Congresbury. The church is ancient. There is a parochial school.

Wick St Lawrence through time

Wick St Lawrence is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wick St Lawrence itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wick St Lawrence in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13404

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wick St Lawrence ".