Place:


Owston Ferry  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Owston Ferry like this:

OWSTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. ' The village stands in the Isle of Axholme, near the river Trent, 3½ miles S E of Epworth, 3½ E of Haxey r. station, and 7 N of Gainsborough; and is a pleasant place. The township contains also the small market-town and port of West Ferry, Kinnards-Ferry, or Owston-Ferry; which has a post-office, of the name of Owston-Ferry, ‡ under Bawtry. ...


Real property, £8, 957. Pop. in 1851, 1, 693; in 1861, 1, 585. Houses, 382. The parish contains also the township of West Butterwick-with-Kelfield, and part of the township of East Ferry; and extends 9 miles along the Trent, from the boundary with Notts to the parish of Althorpe. Acres, exclusive of the part of East Ferry, 5, 350. Real property, exc. of the part of East Ferry, £13, 952. Pop. of the whole, in 1851, 2, 613; in 1861, 2, 520. Houses, 592. The property is much subdivided. Owston Place is the seat of J. Walker, Esq. Owston Wood is a meet for the Cottesmore hounds. A brewery, a ropery, a boat-building yard, a brick and tile yard, an oil-cake mill, several corn mills, and packing and sail-cloth manufactories are at West Ferry; and the Trent iscrossed there by means of ferry-boats. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is a handsome stone building, in pointed architecture; has, of late years, been considerably improved; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; has a rich stained-glass E window, put up in 1836; and is approached through a beautiful arch, recently erected, and through a fine avenue. The p. curacy of West Butterwick is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Wesleyan day-school, and endowed alms-houses at Owston; a Primitive Methodist chapel, a United Free Methodist chapel, and two well-attended schools, at West Ferry; and a national school adjoining West Ferry. The sub-district excludes the part of East Ferry township, but includes the parish of Haxey. Acres, 13, 820 Pop., 4, 649. Houses, 1,094.

Owston Ferry through time

Owston Ferry is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Owston Ferry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Owston Ferry in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13403

Date accessed: 26th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Owston Ferry ".