Place:


South Ormesby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Ormesby like this:

ORMSBY (South), a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands on an acclivity of the Wolds, 4 miles S W of Anthorpe r. station, and 5½ W of Alford; and has a post-office under Alford. The parish contains also the hamlet or quondam parish of Ketsby, and comprises 2, 377 acres. ...


Real property, £4,064. Pop., 261. Houses. 51. The property of Ormsby-proper belongs to the Massingberd family; and that of Ketsby, to Capt. D. Yorke. Ormsby Hall is the seat of the Massingberds, and stands in a well-wooded park. A Roman camp of 3 acres is on the brow of asteep hill; and several Roman coins have been found on and near it. An ancient water-mill, mentioned in Domesday book, is in Ketsby. The living is a rectory, united with the rectories of Ketsby and Driby, and with the vicarage of Calceby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £800.* Patrons, the Massingberd family. The church is transition Norman, in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and mortuary chapel, with a tower; and contains brasses of 1430 and 1495, and severalneat monnments of the Massingberds. National schools were erected in 1858.

South Ormesby through time

South Ormesby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Ormesby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Ormesby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13387

Date accessed: 23rd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Ormesby ".