Place:


Orby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orby like this:

ORBY, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands 1¾ mile N E of Burgh r. station, and 6 E by N of Spilsby. The parish contains also Ashington-End and Habertoft; and its post town is Burgh, under Boston. Acres, 2,088. Real property, £4, 337. Pop. in 1851, 405; in 1861, 357. ...


Houses, 81. The decrease of pop. was caused by the introduction ofagricultural machinery. The property is much sub-divided. The manor and most of the land belong to the Right Hon. R.N. Hamilton and the Rev. R. G. Walls. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £180. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church was built, about the end of the 13th century, by a prior of Thornholm; was repaired in 1848; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains an ancient octagonal font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £4.

Orby through time

Orby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13380

Date accessed: 20th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orby ".