Place:


Mappleton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mappleton like this:

MAPPLETON, a hamlet and a parish in Skirlaugh district, E. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the coast, 3 miles SSE of Hornsea town and r. station. Acres, 1,226; of which 47 are water. Pop., 163. Houses, 32. The parish contains also the hamlet of Rowlstone, and part of the townships of Great Hatfield and CowdensAmbo; and its Post town is Hornsea, under Hull. ...


Acres, 4,279; of which 79 are water. Real property of Mappleton and Rowlstone hamlets, £2,773. Pop. of the parish, 4 75. Houses, 95. The property. is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £87. * Patron, the Archdeacon of E. R. Yorkshire. The church is a neat edifice, with tower and spire; and contains, in a N chantry, a white marble altar-tomb to Judge Brough, who presided at the trial of Admiral Byng. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a Church school.

Mappleton through time

Mappleton is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mappleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mappleton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13379

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mappleton ".