Place:


Wembdon  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wembdon like this:

WEMBDON, a parish, with a village, in Bridgewater district, Somerset; 1½ mile WNW of Bridgewater r. station. Post town, Bridgewater. Acres, 2,471; of which 8 are water. Real property, £4,177. Pop. in 1851, 819; in 1861, 934. Houses, 187. The property is much sub-divided. There are a brewery, a mineral spring, and a stone quarry. ...


The Bridgewater cemetery also is here, and has two chapels. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £612.* Patron, the Rev.W. H. Alston. The church is ancient but good. There are a parochial school, and charities £6.

Wembdon through time

Wembdon is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wembdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wembdon, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13378

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wembdon".