Place:


Tickenham  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tickenham like this:

TICKENHAM, a parish, with a straggling village, in Bedminster district, Somerset; 2½ miles NNW of Nailsea r. station, and 9 W by S of Bristol. Post town, Clevedon. Acres, 1,627. Real property, £3,342. Pop., 401. Houses, 82. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart. T. House is the seat of R. ...


M. Bernard, Esq. Cadbury barrow crowns a hill; and a Roman camp is supposed to have been there. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £165.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient. there are a Brethren's chapel, and a national school.

Tickenham through time

Tickenham is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tickenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tickenham in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13345

Date accessed: 29th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tickenham ".