Place:


Mumby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mumby like this:

MUMBY, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands 2½ miles from the coast, 3¾ E N E of Willoughby r. station, and 4 E S E of Alford. The parish contains also the chapelry of Chapel-Mumby, the hamlets of Elsey and Langham-Row, and part of the hamlet of Authorpe-Row; and its post town is Alford. ...


Acres, 2, 620. Real property, £7,015. Pop., 786. Houses, 176. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Bethlehem hospital. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £280.* Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is transition-Norman; has an early English door, and a fine tower; and was extensively repaired in 1844. The chapelry of Chapel-Mumby, or St. Leonard, is a separate benefice; and the living of it is a p. curacy, of the value of £80, in the patronage of the vicar. Wesleyan chapels are in Mumby and Langham-Row; and Primitive Methodist chapels, in Mumby and Chapel-Mumby. Charities, £12.

Mumby through time

Mumby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mumby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mumby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13327

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mumby ".