Place:


South Stoke  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Stoke like this:

STOKE (South), a parish, with a village, in Bath district, Somerset; 2¼ miles SSW of Bath r. station. It has a post-office under Bath. Acres, 863. Real property, £2,593. Pop., 375. Houses, 72. Mitford Castle, Mitford House, Avon Hill House, and South Stoke Villa are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, the Rev. H. Calverley. The church has a Norman door and a later English tower, and was restored and enlarged in 1845. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics.

South Stoke through time

South Stoke is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Stoke in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13256

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Stoke ".