Place:


Shepton Montague  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepton Montague like this:

SHEPTON-MONTAGUE, a parish, with three hamlets, in Wincanton district, Somerset; on the Somerset and Dorset railway, 2¾ miles NW of Wincanton. Post town, Evercreech, under Bath. Acres, 2,424. Real property, £2,920. Pop., 433. Houses, 92. The manor belongs to W. Phelips, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £62. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is later English, and was restored in 1855. There is a national school.

Shepton Montague through time

Shepton Montague is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shepton Montague itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepton Montague in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13219

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shepton Montague ".