Place:


Kirkburn  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkburn like this:

KIRKBURN, a village, a township, and a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence, in the vale of a brook, at the foot of the Wolds, 2 miles S of Garton r. station, and 4 SW by W of Great Driffield; and has a post office under Driffield. The township contains also the hamlet of Battleburn, and bears the name of Kirkburn-with-Battlebnrn. ...


Acres, 1, 369. Real property, £1, 582. Pop., 158. Houses, 31.—The parish contains also the townships of Southburn, Eastburn, and Jibthorpe. Acres, 6, 002. Real property, £7, 651. Pop., 581. Houses, 107. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir T. Sykes, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £120. * Patron, the Rev. R. Allen. The church is Norman; has a W tower; was restored in 1856; and contains a carved screen, and a very ancient font. There are three Wesleyan chapels, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and national schools. A school house, for 130 children, was erected in 1861; and is in the Tudor style, with bell turret.

Kirkburn through time

Kirkburn is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkburn, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13214

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkburn ".