Place:


Portmadoc  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Portmadoc like this:

Portmadoc, small seaport town with ry. sta., Ynys-cynhaiarn par., Carnarvonshire, on Tremadoc Bay, 11 miles E. of Pwllheli; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks; is a place of comparatively recent growth, and has become a harbour of considerable importance, capable of accommodating vessels of 300 tons burden. The quays are spacious, and an active trade is carried on. Copper is exported in large quantities from the neighbouring mines, but the principal export is slate from the Festiniog quarries, for which this is the port.

Portmadoc through time

Portmadoc is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portmadoc itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portmadoc, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1321

Date accessed: 23rd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portmadoc ".