Place:


Kirby Hill  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Hill like this:

KIRBY-HILL, or Kirby-on-the-Moor, a village, a township, and a parish, in the district of Ripon and N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence, near the river Ure, 1 mile NNW of Boroughbridge r. station; and commands a view to York and Ripon cathedral, and to sixteen churches.-The township comprises 790 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 461. Pop., 158. Houses, 35.—The parish contains also the township of Langthorpe. Posttown, Boroughbridge, under York. Acres, 1, 956. Real property, with the rest of Humberton, £6, 759. Pop., 462. Houses, 98. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £400. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a stone structure, with an embattled tower; and contains some fine Norman arches.

Kirby Hill through time

Kirby Hill is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Hill, in Harrogate and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13199

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirby Hill ".