Place:


Kexborough  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kexborough like this:

KEXBOROUGH, a village and a township in Darton parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence, near the Wakefield and Barnsley railway, 4 miles NW of Barnsley; and is believed to occupy the site of a Roman station. The township contains also the hamlets of Haigh and Swithin. Acres, 1, 450. ...


Real property, £3, 237; of which £200 are in quarries. Pop., 605. Houses, 124. The manor belongs to W. B. Beaumont, Esq. Birthwaite Hall, a handsome Gothic mansion, was the residence of the ancestors of Sir Francis Burdett. There are a New Connexion Methodist chapel, and a slightly endowed school.

Kexborough through time

Kexborough is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kexborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kexborough, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13178

Date accessed: 19th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kexborough".