Place:


Garston  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garston like this:

GARSTON, a small town, a township, and a chapelry, in Childwall parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Mersey, and on the Warrington, Garston, and Liverpool railway, 6 miles SE of Liverpool; was once noted for extensive salt-works; is now a sub-port to Liverpool, with new docks; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office‡ under Liverpool. ...


-The township includes also Aigburth, a suburb of Liverpool. Acres, 3, 293; of which 1, 665 are water. Real property, £31, 643. Pop. in 1851, 2, 756; in 1861, 4, 720. Houses, 763.—The chapelry includes only the eastern part of the township; excludes Aigburth; and was constituted in 1828. Pop., 2, 016. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £138.* Patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The church is very good; and there are two dissenting chapels, Church schools, and charities £12.

Garston through time

Garston is now part of Liverpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Liverpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garston, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1316

Date accessed: 20th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garston ".