Place:


Puriton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Puriton like this:

PURITON, a parish, with a village, in Bridgewater district, Somerset; on the river Parret and on the Bristol and Exeter railway, 3½ miles N N E of Bridgewater. Post-town, Bridgewater. Acres, 1, 632; of which 55 are water. Real property, £5, 724; of which £300 are inquarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 451; in 1861, 604. Houses, 115. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the establishment of three cement mill. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to B.Greenhill, Esq. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Woolavington, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient, has a tower, and was recently restored. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £5.

Puriton through time

Puriton is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Puriton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Puriton, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13158

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Puriton ".