Place:


Puckington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Puckington like this:

PUCKINGTON, a parish in Langport district, Somerset; on the river Isle, 3 miles N of Ilminster, and 6 W of Martock r. station. It contains the hamlet of Little P.; and its post town is Ilminster. Acres, 610. Real property, with South Bradon, £1, 830. Rated property of P. alone, £669. Pop., 260. Houses, 48. The manor and most of the land belong to Lord Portman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £280.* Patron, Lord Portman. The church is later English; was restored in 1857; and consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower.

Puckington through time

Puckington is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Puckington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Puckington in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13157

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Puckington ".