Place:


Pitney  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitney like this:

PITNEY, a parish and a hundred in Somerset. The parish lies 2 miles N E of Langport r. station, contains a village of its own name, and is in Langport district. Post-town, Langport, Somerset. Acres, 1, 500. Real property, £3, 258. Pop., 354. Houses, 78. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire and W. ...


Uttermare, Esq. A fine tesselated pavement was discovered in 1828. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £180.* Patron, Capt. J. Dudman. The church is later English; and consists of nave, S transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. The hundred contains also three other parishes. Acres, 3, 237. Pop., 1,815. Houses, 342.

Pitney through time

Pitney is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitney in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13148

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitney ".