Place:


Pitcombe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitcombe like this:

PITCOMBE, a tything and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The tything lies near the river Brue, 1 mile W of Cole r. station, and 1¾ S W of Bruton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cole and the tything of Hadspen; and its post town is Bruton, under Bath. Acres, 1,060. Real property, £3, 628. ...


Pop., 443. Houses, 84. The property is much subdivided. Hadspen House is the seat of H. Hobhouse, Esq. There are two grist-mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £85.* Patron, Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1858; and is in the early English style. There are a national school, and charities £14.

Pitcombe through time

Pitcombe is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitcombe in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13146

Date accessed: 15th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitcombe ".