Place:


Othery  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Othery like this:

OTHERY, a village and a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Parret, 5 miles N W of Langport r. station, and 7 S E by E of Bridgewater; and has a post-office under Bridgewater. The parish contains also part of Boroughbridge hamlet, and comprises 1,820 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 405. Pop., 698. Houses, 157. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Col. K. Tynte. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £166.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is early English; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with porch and tower; was recently restored; and has handsome stained glass windows. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Othery through time

Othery is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Othery itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Othery, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13133

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Othery ".