Place:


Odcombe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Odcombe like this:

ODCOMBE, a village and a parish in Yeovil district, Somerset. The village stands near the London, Yeovil, and . Exeter railway, 3 miles W of Yeovil r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Houndstone; and its post town is Yeovil. Acres, 1, 276. Real property, £3, 539. Pop. in 1851, 713; in 1861, 652. ...


Houses, 151. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Phelips, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath an ells. Value, £641.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is late perpendicular, in good condition; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a British school, and charities £9. Hody, the theologian, was a native.

Odcombe through time

Odcombe is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Odcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Odcombe in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13130

Date accessed: 14th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Odcombe ".