Place:


Bishopsworth  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopsworth like this:

BISHPORT, or Bishopsworth, a chapelry in Bedminster parish, Somerset; near Wans Dyke and the Bristol and Exeter railway, 3 miles SW of Bristol. It has a post office of Bishopsworth under Bristol. Pop., 1,606. Houses, 337. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop. The church was built in 1842. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Bishopsworth through time

Bishopsworth is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopsworth, in Bristol and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13125

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishopsworth ".