Place:


Norton St Philip  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton St Philip like this:

NORTON-ST. PHILIP, a village and a parish in Frome district, Somerset. The village stands 2½ miles W of the boundary with Wilts, 4 S S W of Freshford r.station, and 6 S by E of Bath; contains an old inn, a very curious building of the 15th century; and has a post-office under Bath. The parish comprises 1, 527acres. ...


Real property, £3, 500. Pop. in 1851, 788; in 1861, 672. Houses, 168. The decrease of pop. arose mainly from the removal of coal carriers, consequent upon the opening of the railway . The property is much subdivided. Norton House is the residence of Mrs. Gutch. The skirmish between the army of the Duke of Monmouth and the King's troops under Feversham, resulting in the repulse which drove Monmouth to the fatal field of Sedgemoor, took place near the village. There are several malting-houses, a brewery, and a corn mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £110.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is later English; was restored in 1847; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and loftytower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £25.

Norton St Philip through time

Norton St Philip is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton St Philip itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton St Philip, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13119

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton St Philip ".