Place:


Newton St Loe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton St Loe like this:

NEWTON-ST. LOE, a village and a parish in Keynsham district, Somerset. The village stands near a bridge over the river Avon, and near the Great Western rail.way, 2 miles W N W of Twerton r. station, and 3½ W of Bath; is a beautiful place; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish comprises 1, 578 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 985. Pop., 401. Houses, 85. The manor, Newton Park, and most of the land, belong to W. G. Langton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £426.* Patron, W. G. Langton, Esq. The church is later English; was restored and enlarged in 1857; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with two porches and a tower; has all its windows of stained glass; and contains some handsome tablets to the Langton family. The churchyard contains a recent handsome monument to Capt. E. G. Langton. There are an endowed school with £72 a year, and charities £84.

Newton St Loe through time

Newton St Loe is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton St Loe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton St Loe in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13115

Date accessed: 16th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton St Loe ".