Place:


Monksilver  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monksilver like this:

MONKSILVER, a village and a parish in Williton district, Somerset. The village stands 3 miles W of Williton r. station, and 6¼ N by W of Wiveliscombe; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Woodford, and comprises 1,005 acres. Real property, £1,528. Pop., 304. Houses, 62. The manor belongs to T. B. Notley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church comprises aisles and chancel, with porch and tower. There is a national school.

Monksilver through time

Monksilver is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monksilver itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monksilver in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13106

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monksilver ".