Place:


Merriott  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merriott like this:

MERRIOTT, a village and a parish in Chard district, Somerset. The village stands 2 miles N of Crewkerne r. station, and has a post office under Taunton. The parish comprises 1,693 acres. Real property, £7,385. Pop., 1,413. Houses, 294. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. ...


R. Rodbard and E. Rodbard, Esqs. Canvas works adjoin the parish, and employ about 200 of its inhabitants. The living is a cicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £397.,* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is early and later English; was restored and enlarged in 1861; and consists of nave, aisles, and triple chancel, with porch and tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Plymouth Brethren, an endowed national school with £9 a year, and charities £11.

Merriott through time

Merriott is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merriott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merriott in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13100

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merriott ".