Place:


Lympsham  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lympsham like this:

LYMPSHAM, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Axe, 3 miles S of Weston-super-Mare-Junction r. station, and 6 W of Axbridge; and has a post office under Westonsuper-Mare. The parish contains also the hamlets of Easterton and Batch. Acres, 1,966. ...


Real property, £5,815. Pop., 496. Houses, 114. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to Glastonbury abbey, and belongs now to Mrs. Popham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £503. * Patron, the Rey. J. H. Stephenson. The church is later English, in good condition; and consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £4.

Lympsham through time

Lympsham is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lympsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lympsham, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13090

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lympsham ".