Place:


West Lydford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Lydford like this:

LYDFORD (WEST), a village and a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Brue, 4¾ miles W of Castle-Cary r. station; and has a five-arched bridge across the river, a post office under Taunton, and fairs on Holy Thursday and 12 Aug. The parish comprises 1,900 acres. ...


Real property, £2,633. Pop., 320. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mrs. Colston. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £350. * Patron, Mrs. Colston. The church was rebuilt in 1846, at the expense of the Colstons; is in the pointed style; consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower; and has a fine memorial window. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and chari ties £1 4.

West Lydford through time

West Lydford is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Lydford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Lydford, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13089

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Lydford ".