East Lydford  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Lydford like this:

LYDFORD (EAST), a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the river Brue and the Fosse way, 4 miles W of Castle-Cary r. station. Post town, Somerton, under Taunton. Acres, 706. Real property, £1,455. Pop., 178. Houses, 43. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. ...

Value, £186.* Patron, the Rev. J. J. Moss. The old church stood in a low meadow, and became very dilapidated. The present church was built on another site, in 1866, at a cost of nearly £3,000, all defrayed by the Rev. j. J. Moss; is in the early English style; comprises nave and chancel, with a bold S porch; and has a tower at the N side of the chancel-arch, square in the basement, octagonal above, and surmounted by a spire about 100 feet high.

East Lydford through time

East Lydford is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Lydford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Lydford, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 05th December 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Lydford ".