Luxborough  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Luxborough like this:

LUXBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Williton district, Somerset. The village stands 4¼ miles SSW of Dunster, and 7½ W of Williton r. station; and has a postoffice under Taunton. The parish comprises 3,740 acres. Real property, £3,317. Pop., 521. Houses, 103. The property is subdivided. ...

The manor belongs to the trustees of the late Sir Thomas Lethbridge. Chargott Lodge is the residence ofLethbridge, Esq. Much of the surface is uncultivated land and loftyhills. Iron mines are worked on Brendon hill; and a railway goes from them to Watchet. An ancient British camp and many ancient barrows also are on that hill. The parish is a meet for the Devon and Somerset hounds. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Cutcombe, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church comprises aisles and chancel, with a tower. There are a dissenting chapel and a parochial school.

Luxborough through time

Luxborough is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Luxborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Luxborough in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 24th January 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Luxborough ".