Place:


Hutton Rudby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hutton Rudby like this:

HUTTON, a township and a sub-district in Stokesley district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township is in Rudby-in-Cleveland parish; bears the alternative name of Hutton-Rudby; lies on the river Leven, near the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 4 miles WSW of Stokesley; and has a post office, of the name of HuttonRudby, under Yarm. ...


Acres, 2, 341. Real property, £3, 715. Pop., 769. Houses, 189. The linen manufacture is largely carried on. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school. -The sub-district contains also four other townships of Rudby-in-Cleveland, two of Whorlton, and the entire parishes of Arncliffe and Crathorne, and is in Stokesley district. Acres, 19, 109. Pop., 2, 528. Houses, 557.

Hutton Rudby through time

Hutton Rudby is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hutton Rudby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hutton Rudby, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13063

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hutton Rudby".