Place:


Hutton Lowcross  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hutton Lowcross like this:

HUTTON-LOWCROSS, or HUTTON-LOCRAS, a township in Guisbrough parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 1½ mile SW of Guisbrough. Acres, 1, 573. Real property, £7, 000; of which £5, 658 are in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 49; in 1861, 271. Houses, 50. The increase of pop. arose from the construction and extension of ironworks. ...


A lepers' hospital was founded here by William de Bernaldby, and given to Guisbrough priory. A Cistertian nunnery also was founded here by Ralph de Neville; and substructions of it were recently laid open by the plough. The ham pits of an ancient British village likewise are here, from 8 to 12 feet deep, from 60 to 100 yards in circumference, and extending in irregular lines for about 2 miles.

Hutton Lowcross through time

Hutton Lowcross is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hutton Lowcross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hutton Lowcross, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13058

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hutton Lowcross ".