Place:


Leigh upon Mendip  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leigh upon Mendip like this:

LEIGH-UPON-MENDIP, a village and a parish in Frome district, Somerset. The village stands under the E end of the Mendip hills, 4 miles N by W of Wanstrow r. station, and 5 W of Frome; and has a post office under Frome. The parish comprises 1,425 acres. Real property, £2,513. Pop., 534. Houses, 131. ...


The manor and most of the land belong to the Rev. John S. H. Horner. The surface lies high, and culminates at 884 feet above sea-level. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Mells, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is later English; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with an ornate tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Leigh upon Mendip through time

Leigh upon Mendip is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leigh upon Mendip itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leigh upon Mendip, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13042

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leigh upon Mendip ".