Place:


Laverton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laverton like this:

LAVERTON, a village and a parish in Frome district, Somerset. The village stands near the boundary with Wilts, 3 miles N by E of Frome r. station. The parish includes the tything of Peart; and its post town is Beckington, under Bath. Acres, 1, 034. Real property, £1, 678. Pop., 164. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient but good, without a tower. There is a national school.

Laverton through time

Laverton is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Laverton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laverton, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13038

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Laverton ".