Place:


Metheringham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Metheringham like this:

METHERINGHAM, a village and a parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The village stands near a navigation to the river Witham, 5 miles E of the railway from Lincoln to Sleaford, 6 miles WSW of Stixwould r. station, and 8¾ SE of Lincoln; and has a post office under Sleaford, and a Saturday evening market around an ancient reconstructed cross. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Tanvats. Acres, 4,590. Real property, £8,206. Pop., 1,532. Houses, 339. The manor belongs to H. Chaplin, Esq. Metheringham drain goes hence to the river Witham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £460.* Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £5.

Metheringham through time

Metheringham is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Metheringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Metheringham, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13003

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Metheringham ".