Place:


Messingham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Messingham like this:

MESSINGHAM, a village, a township, and a parish in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln. The village stands 3½ miles E of the river Trent, 4 NW by N of Kirton-inLindsey r. station, and 7½ W by S of Glanford-Brigg; is large and well built; and has a post office under KirtonLindsey, and a fair on Trinity Monday.-The township comprises 5,450 acres. ...


Real property, £7,922. Pop., 1,086. Houses, 247.—The parish contains also the larger portion of East Butterwick township. Acres, with the rest of East Butterwick, 6,130. Real property, with the rest of E. B., £10,319. Pop., exclusive of the rest of E. B., 1,362. Houses, 301. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. Smith, Esq. About 1,000 acres were formerly a low, sandy, barren tract upon the Trent; but have been highly improved by warping. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Bottesford, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £650. * Patron, alternately the Bishop of Lincoln and the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is a neat structure, with a tower; and was partly rebuilt in 1818, at a cost of nearly £2,000. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Wethodists, a reading-room and library, and a recently erected national school.

Messingham through time

Messingham is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Messingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Messingham in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13001

Date accessed: 26th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Messingham ".