Place:


Martin  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martin like this:

MARTIN, a township in Timberland parish, Lincoln; on Martin drain, 4¾ miles SW of Kirkstead r. station, and 6½ WNW of Tattershall. Acres, 3,932. Real property, £6,878. Pop., 908. Houses, 181. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. W. King. Martin drain runs to the river Witham, and gives navigation to the general canal system of the county, and to the sea at Boston. There ar.e chape1s for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a free school.

Martin through time

Martin is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martin, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12996

Date accessed: 06th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Martin ".