Place:


Marston  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marston like this:

MARSTON, a village and a parish in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln. The village stands on the river Witham, 1 mile SSW of Hougham r. station, and 5 NNW of Grantham; and has a post office under Grantham. The parish comprises 2,430 acres. Real property, £3,880. Pop., 403. Houses, 82. ...


The manor and most of the land belong to Sir J.Thorold, Bart. Marston Hall was formerly the seat of the Thorolds, but is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Hongham, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is old; and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and spire. There are an endowed school with £35 a year, and charities £35.

Marston through time

Marston is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marston, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12994

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marston ".