Place:


Marsh Chapel  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marsh Chapel like this:

MARSH-CHAPEL, a village and a parish in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands 1¼ mile E of the Louth navigation, 2½ from the coast, 4 ENE ofLudborough r. station, and 10 NNE of Louth; and has a post office under Grimsby. The parish extends to the coast; comprises 3,131 acres of land, and 1,160 of water; and includes 304 acres of salt marsh, reclaimed and embanked in 1858. ...


Real property, £6,358. Pop., 671. Houses, 153. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. B. Stanhope andAllex, Esqs. The land is fertile reclaimed marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £222. Patron, the Rev. A. Floyer. The church is late perpendicular English; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chantry-chapel, with pinnacled tower; was restored in the chancel in 1848, in the nave in 1864; and contains a fine oak screen, a handsome octagonal font, and a monument of 1617 to W. Harpham. There are chapels for Wesleyaus, Primitive Methodists, and United Free Methodists, a national school, and charities £40.

Marsh Chapel through time

Marsh Chapel is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marsh Chapel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marsh Chapel, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12993

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marsh Chapel ".