Place:


Kingsbury Episcopi  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsbury Episcopi like this:

KINGSBURY-EPISCOPI, a parish in Langport district, Somerset; on the river Parret, 2½ miles NW of Martock r. station, and 4 SSE of Langport. It has a post office, of the name of Kingsbury, under Ilminster; and it contains the tythings of Burrow, Lake, Stembridge, West Lambrook, and East Lambrook, and the hamlets of Middle Lambrook, Southay, and Thorney. ...


Acres, 3, 646. Real property, £9, 648. Pop., 1,838Houses, 351. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to W. Wyndham, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £360.* Patron, the Chancellor of Wells Cathedral. The church is of the time of Henry VII.; was restored in 1845 and 1849; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with porch and fine pinnacled tower. The rectory of East Lambrook is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school of 1863, and charities £24.

Kingsbury Episcopi through time

Kingsbury Episcopi is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingsbury Episcopi itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsbury Episcopi in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12990

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingsbury Episcopi ".