Place:


Hutton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hutton like this:

HUTTON, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands 1½ mile E of Weston-super-Mare Junction r. station, and 7 NW of Axbridge; is a neat place, with several good houses; and has a post office under Weston-super-Mare.—The parish comprises 1,876 acres. Real property, with Locking, £6, 543. ...


Rated property of H. alone, £4, 500. Pop., 359. Houses, 83. The property is subdivided. The principal landowner is Sir G. Smyth. The manor, with Hutton Court, belongs to E. Bisdee, Esq. Hutton Court was formerly an ecclesiastical establishment, supposed to have belonged to Glastonbury abbey; and it contains a fine old hall, with open oak roof; and has an embattled tower, which commands a fine view of the surrounding country. Ochre pits, old mines, and several caverns are in the parish; and quantities of bones of elephants, tigers, hyænas, boars, wolves, and other animals have been found in the caverns. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £434. * Patron, G. Gibbs, Esq. The church is decorated English; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains recent painted W window, a memorial window to a former rector, and several monuments and brasses. Charities, £ 4.

Hutton through time

Hutton is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hutton in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12971

Date accessed: 25th February 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hutton".