Place:


Huish Episcopi  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huish Episcopi like this:

HUISH-EPISCOPI, a parish in Langport district, Somerset; at the confluence of the rivers Yeo and Parret, and on the Yeovil and Bridgewater railway, in the eastern vicinity of Langport. It includes the tything of Langport-Westover, and the hamlets of Coombe, Pebsbury, and Wearne, with portions of Wagg and Paradise; and it has a post office under Langport. ...


Acres, 2, 314. Real property, £5, 914. Pop., 679. Houses, 149. The manor of Huish-Episcopi belonged to the Bishop of Bath and Wells; and was recently ceded to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The manor of Pitney-Weare belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Langport, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £180. * Patron, the Archdeacon of Wells. The church is of very varions architecture; comprises nave, chancel, S transept and N Lady chapel; and has a lofty tower, one of the most beautiful in Somerset. There are a national school, and charities £15.

Huish Episcopi through time

Huish Episcopi is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huish Episcopi itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huish Episcopi in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12967

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huish Episcopi ".