Place:


Holton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holton like this:

HOLTON, a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Wincanton r. station; and has a post office under Bath. -The parish comprises 491 acres. Real property, with Maperton and Clapton, £4, 265; of which £188 are in quarries. Rated property of H. ...


alone, £1, 073. Pop., 208. Houses, 50. The property is subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to Messrs. Plucknett. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £110. Patron, the Rev.Plucknett. The church is good, in mixed pointed style; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.

Holton through time

Holton is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12963

Date accessed: 15th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holton ".