Place:


Holford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holford like this:

HOLFORD, a village and a parish in Williton district, Somerset. The village stands near the coast, 5½ miles E of Williton r. station, and 10 NW by W of Bridgewater; and has a post office under Bridgewater. The parish comprises 796 acres. Real property, £1, 046. Pop., 170. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir P. Acland, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £202.* Patron, Eton College. The church is good, and has a low tower.

Holford through time

Holford is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holford in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12962

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holford ".