Place:


Holcombe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holcombe like this:

HOLCOMBE, a parish, with a village, in SheptonMallet district, Somerset; on the Fosse way, 6 miles NE by N of Shepton-Mallet r. station. Post town, Stratton-on-the-Fosse, under Bath. Acres, 780. Real property, £2, 118. Pop. in 1851, 464; in 1861, 388. Houses, 82. The decrease of pop. arose from the migration of coal-miners. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to James E. Salmon, Esq. There is an extensive brewery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £70.* Patron, the Rev. T. R. Jolliffe. The church is Norman, in good condition; and consists of nave and chancel, with fine Norman porch and a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Holcombe through time

Holcombe is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holcombe, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12961

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holcombe ".