Place:


Hinton Charterhouse  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton Charterhouse like this:

CHARTER-HOUSE-HINTON, a parish in Bath district, Somerset; on the verge of the county, near the Ridgeway, 1 mile S of Freshford r. station, and 4¼ SSE of Bath. It has a post office under Bath. Acres, 2,890. Real property, £4,527. Pop., 615. Houses, 135. A Carthusian priory was founded here, in 1232, by Ela, Countess of Salisbury; and some remains of it, supposed to have been the chapter house, the refectory, and the dormitory, still exist. ...


Hinton Great Abbey House belonged formerly to the Hungerfords; is now the seat of Lieut.-Col. Cotgrave; and contains some fine paintings. Some Roman relics, including coins, pottery, and traces of an amphitheatre, have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Norton-St. Philip. The church is ancient. There is a national school.

Hinton Charterhouse through time

Hinton Charterhouse is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinton Charterhouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton Charterhouse in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12958

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinton Charterhouse ".