Place:


Henstridge  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Henstridge like this:

HENSTRIDGE, a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands adjacent to the Somerset and Dorset railway, near the boundary with Dorset, 6½ miles S of Wincanton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Blandford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Yenston, Whitchurch, and Bowden. ...


Acres, 4, 252. Real property, £8, 801. Pop., 1, 173. Houses, 275. The manor belongs to G. W. Digby, Esq. An alien priory, a cell to St. Sever in Normandy, was founded here in the 11th century, by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester. The Virginia inn, at Henstridge-Ash, is said to have been the place where Sir Walter Raleigh first smoked a pipe of tobacco in England; and a tradition is current that the waiter supposing him to be on fire, dashed over him a pail of water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £550.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church contains an altar tomb of Sir William Carent and his lady, which needs restoration. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £9.

Henstridge through time

Henstridge is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Henstridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Henstridge in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12953

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Henstridge ".